Wednesday, March 1, 2017

David's Story: Thirty Six Words

The look on their faces said it all.

I fought going to the ER during my second heart attack in October 2011. I was a very difficult patient when I got there. But they scared my wife, and she insisted.

So I was flown by helicopter to the University Hospital, where after hours of trying, the finest docs available (all on staff at the medical school) said my condition was inoperable.

Their faces told me they didn’t believe I'd live long.

The fix, a stent to open up my “Widowmaker” (LAD) artery that was 80% closed off, proved impossible. A prior stent from my heart attack 6 1/2 years previous blocked all attempts. Ominous.

For good reason. In my first heart attack three arteries were 99% blocked and one was 75%. Two blockages were in the "Widowmaker" artery.

I asked my cardiologist back then if I should change my diet and he said, “Nah, you can’t change heredity. Arteries always close up again. So exercise and take medications, and when it closes up again we’ll just put more stents in."

He was wrong. But now, I might well be dead in a year or two if I didn't find answers.

State of the art, modern, up to date medicine at its best (or really, worst).Hard to blame the doctors when that's the standard of care.

But I now call it foolishness.

I even called an old friend, who majored in nutrition (so I figured if anybody knew he would) before he went to medical school. I asked him if there was anything new, different or more effective. He answered there was not.

I took his word for it, a mistake. I wish I’d kept searching.

So with this recent heart attack, when they couldn’t operate, I knew it was serious, even fatal, if I didn’t figure out better answers. I also knew meds wouldn’t cut it. So when a new friend whose daughter was studying nutrition, told me about Eat To Live I was interested.

In fact I was desperate.

You see, for me it really is a matter of life or death.

I got the book, and it was everything I’d hoped for, and more.

The first part of the book is testimonials from people like me. Lots of medical and health situations had proven difficult to handle otherwise. They found answers through nutritarian eating. I’ll summarize:
  • Weight loss after years of trying, and the weight stays off. Amounts of 15 to 150 pounds, in two weeks to a couple of years.
  • Major cholesterol reductions, often over 100 points.
  • Many otherwise incurable diseases, ranging from hepatitis C to diabetes, were effectively treated.
  • Many other difficult health issues turned around, like depression, migraines, blood pressure, diverticulitis, sleep disorders, digestion problems, back pain and more.
So here’s my statement in the thirty six words below, a little like what you’d see in Eat To Live:

My doctor said I’d need repeated heart catheterization as a genetic certainty. He was wrong. With the answers in Eat To Live, I 'm healing my own heart disease.

– David Higbee, 45 pounds in 18 months

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know, is this relevant, useful, or interesting - thanks.